Ocean animals and sea creatures are a great theme and topic to base learning around for kids. This creative movement and dance activity is a perfect compliment to learning about animals from the deep and a great way to meet dance and arts curriculum expectations as well!
The 15-minute lesson explores moving our bodies in fun and creative ways to carefully selected music, specially chosen to help ignite the imagination and provide a beat and rhythm to dance to. We swim like a sea turtle, as well as crawl like a crab and roll our bodies in forward motions as well as jump in and out of the ocean just like dolphins.
Great for an extended brain break in the classroom or even as a springboard to ignite learning in various areas of the curriculum both at school and for home learning, but also just a lot of fun to do for any reason – especially if you are after some interactive screen time for your kids or toddler.
Click here to go straight to a playlist on Youtube of dance classes by Move Dance Learn. Don’t forget to subscribe to get notifications as the library is growing and should have twenty videos up soon!
LINKS TO THE CURRICULUM
Having taught in Australia as I have a Bachelor of Education (Primary), I am always looking at ways to creatively teach children and regularly used dance and movement in my classroom to enforce learning of concepts and material we were learning about in different areas of the school curriculum.
The following are some links and connections that can be made from this movement lesson to various other areas of learning!
Mathematics and Arithmetic
- There has been a lot of research into learning the mathematical abilities of dolphins which is something interesting to explore in this usually number orientated area of learning to explore.
- Discover how speed is measured differently when in the water compared to on land.
- Count the number of teeth each animal has, what is the difference between each, which has more and less.
- Use sea animal figurines to show counting and arithmetic problems visually.
- If you search sea turtle math, dolphin math or crab math you will also find a large selection of activities to do!
English and Literacy
- Create a spelling list of Ocean or Sea Animal related words.
- Create a list of adjectives and verbs that describe these animals or the Sea.
- Recount a time you have visited an aquarium of even been to a beach or the ocean and seen animals such as crabs, turtles or dolphins.
- Write a narrative about going on a sea adventure that includes a sea turtle, crab, or dolphin.
- Research and then write a report or explanation about sea turtles, crabs, or dolphins.
- Write an argumentative or persuasive essay expressing your position about pollution and plastics and their effect on our Oceans and marine life.
Social Studies, Science & Technology
- Go on an excursion to an aquarium or watch a documentary about these animals.
- Learn about sea and ocean ecosystems and why they are important for our Earth.
- Explore how these animals have evolved over time.
- Learn about the life cycles of the animals.
- Roleplay being a vet for an aquarium – create a veterinarian clinic at home or in the classroom and discover how to care for these animals. (links to biology)
- Research and find out if any of these animals are on endangered animal lists. Create a project or presentation or take some action to help the situation.
- Mark on a map of the world all the locations that sea turtles, dolphins and crabs are found in large numbers.
- Learn about the different oceans of the world and their names. Discover why some are called oceans and others seas.
Arrrggggghhhh me matey! Are your kids into everything pirate at the moment or are you just looking for something engaging to get your preschooler, toddler, or even school-aged kid moving and...
Not able to get to a zoo? Not a problem, this fun and creative movement lesson on Youtube will get your kids not only engaging with zoo animals but also learning and thinking about how they move in...